For 25 years I was a Biological Anthropologist, studying New World Primates and teaching at university. In 2001, I quit my tenured professorship to become a full-time fiber artist. Since then I have exhibited my award-winning quilts in numerous juried shows and my work is included in both public and private collections.
Since 2006 I have worked exclusively with my own shibori-dyed cotton and silk fabrics. I work improvisationally and I respond to a developing composition on a primarily emotional level. Recently I have begun working with plant and insect-derived dyes in addition to fiber reactive dyes.
Selected Solo exhibitions
- 2011 Westminster College Art Gallery, New Wilmington, PA
- 2009 Humphrey Gallery, University Hospitals. Cleveland, OH
- 2006 McDonough Museum, Youngstown, OH
Selected Invited exhibitions
- 2016 Material Pulses: Eight Viewpoints. Riffe Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2015 Inaugural Exhibition. Mixed media. Edison Price Gallery. New York, NY
- 2012 Second Life. HeightsArts Gallery, Cleveland Heights, OH. Curator: Martha Young
- 2012 Creative Statements: Ohio Art Quilts. Zanesville Museum of Art, Zanesville, OH
- 2010 Color Improvisations: International Invitational Exhibition of Contemporary Quilts
- Curator: Nancy Crow. Stuttgart, Germany, and traveling in Europe through 2013
- 2008 Marbaum Collection: 25 Years of Contemporary Quilts. The Dairy Barn, Athens, OH
Selected Juried exhibitions
- 2015 Mystic Summit Exhibition. Touchstone Center for Craft, Farmington, PA
- Natural Dye Showcase. Mendocino Center for the Arts. Mendocino, CA
- 2013 Best of Ohio 2013: Ohio Designer Craftsmen. Ohio Craft Museum. Columbus, OH and traveling
- 2009 Quilt National: The Best of Contemporary Quilts. The Dairy Barn, Athens OH, and traveling through 2011
- Forum Health, Youngstown, OH
- Will Henry Trust, Southington, OH
- Marbaum Collection, Athens, OH
- 2009 Nancy Crow: New and Recent Works. Butler Institute of American Art, Trumbull Gallery. Howland, OH
- 2008 Depth and Breadth: Six Quiltmakers in the 21st Century. Butler Institute of American Art, Trumbull Gallery. Howland, OH
- 2016 – SAQA Portfolio 22
- 2015 – SAQA Portfolio 21
- 2014 – Surface Design. Interpreting Nature: Piecing Abstraction by Petra Fallaux.
- 2014 – SAQA Portfolio 20.
- 2010 – Patchwork Professional Extra. Mary Lou Alexander